Home » Services » Effect of immigration/emigration, the surrender of a green card or renouncing U.S. citizenship

Learn the effects of immigration and emigration on US taxes.

We offer tax advice to people immigrating to or emigrating from the U.S.

For immigrants, it is important to understand the effect of immigration on U.S. taxes. We can advise you on the basics of the U.S. tax system (both federally and in the state to which you are moving), what your obligations will be, and what amount of tax you can expect to pay on your income. We can also suggest planning actions you can undertake before arriving in the U.S. to lower your tax burden or to simplify your compliance.

Emigration also has an effect on U.S. taxes. Emigrants from the U.S. will need to file a final, part-year tax return for the year of departure. If you surrender your green card (terminate your “permanent resident” status) in connection with your emigration, you may be subject to expatriation tax and the filing of Form 8854. Similar issues arise when U.S. citizens renounce U.S. citizenship. We can advise you on what income will be reported on your final return, what special forms need to be filed and what level of expatriation tax you may face.

If you’re planning on making a big move, reach out. An Unbordered cross-border tax specialist will help make the transition as smooth as possible.