Because of the American citizenship-based tax system, Americans living in Canada require their US tax returns to be filed annually. We’re here to make that process as smooth as possible with comprehensive cross-border tax services:


Applying for a U.S. tax ID number

We can assist you in obtaining an ITIN (individuals) or an EIN (trusts/estates, corporations, partnerships). You might need this to use in preparing tax returns, or because a U.S. payor has asked you to obtain one for their use on forms they need to file with the IRS.


U.S. federal and state tax return preparation

We can prepare U.S. federal and state tax returns for the following types of taxpayers: individuals, trusts and estates.


Preparation of FinCEN Report 114 (FBAR)

A United States person that has a financial interest in or signature authority over foreign financial accounts must file an FBAR if the aggregate value of the foreign financial accounts exceeds $10,000 at any time during the calendar year. We can assist you in determining whether you must file this form, the financial accounts that must be reported, and in preparing and e-filing the form.


Filings to claim a tax exemption or tax rate reduction

You might be eligible for a reduced rate of tax or a tax exemption by virtue of a U.S. tax treaty. We can assist with preparing the forms commonly used to claim those treaty benefits: W-8BEN, W-8BEN-E, W-8ECI, W-8IMY, and Form 8233.


Cross-border business structuring

We can assist Canadians in determining the best organizational structure to use in investing in or doing business in the U.S.


Tax opinion

If you need an answer to a specific U.S. tax question or advice about a specific fact situation, we can research the question, explain our findings and provide you with appropriate advice.

Jeremy has prepared our US & Canadians tax returns for the past two years. He is well informed in all areas of US & Canadian tax codes, rules & regulations. He has provided excellent service and is punctual. I would not use anybody else.

Kam, Nova Scotia

We have been using the services of Jeremy and his team for the past several years with respect to advanced tax matters including US tax. They have always provided prompt, accurate and reliable advice.

Miles, Nova Scotia