Home » Services » Applying for a Canadian tax ID number

Get help applying for an individual tax number (ITN).

To file your Canadian taxes, you’ll need a tax identification number.

Canadian citizens, permanent residents, and individuals eligible to work in Canada can obtain a social insurance number (SIN). A SIN is the ordinary tax identification number used in the Canadian tax system. Non-residents who are not eligible for a SIN but who have Canadian tax filing obligations must apply for an individual tax number (ITN). We can assist you with this process.

Applying for an ITN requires the preparation and submission of Form T1261 along with a notarized copy of your foreign passport or driver’s license.

Non-resident business entities who do business in Canada must obtain a business number (BN) for use in preparing Canadian tax filings. We can assist you in applying for a business number and in applying for the appropriate program accounts (corporate tax, GST/HST and payroll) that you need to operate in Canada.

We’re happy to answer any questions you may have. Reach out today to learn more.